Why Your Vote Matters

Why the 2022 midterm election matters

The Senate is split 50/50 right now. 34 Senators are up for election this November; a change of just one will determine control of the Senate for the next two years. 

 

The House of Representatives is also closely divided, with the narrowest margin than any time in the last hundred years. All 435 Representatives are up for election and every district counts!

 

Whether you support or oppose President Biden, the makeup of Congress is crucial to what does or doesn’t get done in the next two years.

 

Plus, at the state level, nearly half of the country's governors, secretaries of state, and attorneys general will be up for election. 

 

Elections have consequences. Use your vote to advocate for yourself, your family, your community, and the generations to come. Have your say on important issues that affect you – health care, reproductive rights, climate change, voting rights, equal rights, taxes, immigration, education, infrastructure, neighborhood safety, jobs, and more. 

 

Why Vote?

Why ote.png

Your vote really does matter!

Elections are tight every year. Nearly half of eligible voters didn’t vote in the last midterm¹ – there are few elections in this country that couldn’t be swung by a fraction of that group. Even a small number of votes can impact elections.

 

If you don’t vote, someone else will decide on the things that matter to you.

Why Vote 2.png

The youngest eligible voters have the most at stake, yet they have the lowest voter participation in the United States. In the last midterm, voter turnout among 18-29 year olds was just 36%. That means about two out of three 18-29 year olds did not vote. We can impact this number, within our industry.  Given that our media and advertising industry has a disproportionate amount of young voters, this is the largest area where we can make a difference. 

 

Who do you think politicians listen to the most?

Why Vote 3 .png
Why Vote 4.png

Tight elections at every level - 

 

Presidential:

  • While President Joe Biden won by more than 7MM votes in 2020, three of the state wins were by less than 1%. 

  • Out of nearly 137 million votes cast in 2016, only 78,000 more votes across three states would’ve meant a President Hillary Clinton instead of a President Donald Trump. Those three state wins were by less than than 0.75%. 

  • In 2000, the presidential election was decided by 537 votes! A large high school class could’ve changed the outcome!

Congressional:

  • In 2021, Jon Ossoff won a close runoff election in Georgia, tying the US Senate at 50/50. Just 1% of the vote could have impacted every piece of legislation for two years. 

  • In 2008, Al Franken won his US Senate race in Minnesota by just 312 votes. A difference of 0.01% gave Democrats the deciding vote to pass the Affordable Care Act.

State: 

  • In 2017 the Virginia House of Delegates was decided by 1 vote (!)

  • In 2010, the Massachusetts House was initially a single vote before an absentee vote was thrown out, and the special election was still only decided by a few dozen. 

 

Local elections matter immensely too, impacting everything from education to transportation and more. Fewer than 15% of eligible voters turn out to vote for local offices (mayors, council members, school boards), according to a Portland State University study. Low turnout means that important local issues are determined by a limited group of voters, making a single vote even more statistically meaningful.

 

Our industry can make a difference - let's all pledge to vote this November. 

 

“The right to vote is the crown jewel of American liberties” 

-Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States


¹Just 53% of the citizen voting age population voted in 2018, the last midterm election. While it was the highest midterm turnout in four decades, that means that the remaining 47% could have easily shifted the outcome (source: census).